By Juan Páez
- José Abreu is doing his best to save the White Sox from a resounding failure. Since May 17, there is no one in all of baseball with more hits than the Cienfuegos native (74). By the way, he is also second in doubles (19), average (.359) and batting average (.438), besides being fifth in OPS (1.006) and tenth in slugging percentage (.568) among batters with at least 110 plate appearances. To top it off, he has 24 multi-hit games our of the 53 he has played. THIS IS OUR MVP!
- TheValueOfCandelita.com: Among all big-leaguers with at least 60 plate appearances with runners in scoring position, José Iglesias has the second best average in all of baseball. His .407 mark is tied with Paul Goldschmidt and is second only to Ji-Man Choi’s .413. The Rockies could very well use this figure to trade him before Aug. 2. We’ll see, said a blind man.
- SEVEN confirmed for the Home Run Derby! After Albert Pujols, Juan Soto, Pete Alonso, Ronald Acuña Jr. and Kyle Schwarber said yes, Dominicans Julio Rodríguez and José Ramírez joined the event. An eighth participant is missing and there are only four days left until the long-awaited edition of the Home Run Derby. The logical choice is Braves third baseman Austin Riley, who has 25 home runs. But let’s wait and see!
- Cuban prospect Lázaro Yosmel Montes, just 17, is impressing everyone in the Mariners’ affiliate in the Dominican Summer League (rookie league). In his first 100 plate appearances (26 games) as a professional, the young outfielder has hit .329/.450/.684, with no less than seven doubles, three triples, five home runs, 22 runs batted in, 18 runs scored and 16 runs batted in. His OPS is 1.134. Keep an eye on him.
- COVIDAndItsThings.com: Although it was expected that the Yankees would try to trade for outfielder Andrew Benintendi from the Royals, now they will not. The reason is that Benintendi is NOT vaccinated against COVID-19 and that would be a problem to play in Canada against the Blue Jays. The thing is, the Yankees have six games remaining against Toronto and the two teams could meet in the postseason. PLOP!
Top Performers July 13, 2022:
- José Iglesias vs Padres: 3 for 5, HR (3), 6 RBI (31), R
- José Abreu vs Guardianes: 2 for 4, 2B (24), RBI (43)
- Luis Robert vs Guardianes: 3 for 4, 2B (12), R, K
On This Day:
2014: Yoenis Céspedes hits 28 homers to win his second Home Run Derby crown in-a-row in Minnesota. La Potencia ties Ken Griddey Jr. as the only two players to win back-to-back derbies.
2020: The Associated Press announces that Yasiel Puig signed a contract with the Atlanta Braves, just 10 days before the start of the 2020 season, which was shortened to 60 games. However, the deal fell through three days later because the Cuban outfielder was diagnosed with COVID-19.
Kendrys Morales is the Cuban with the most games of six or RBI’s in Major League Baseball since 2000, with five games. The last one was on August 31, 2017, in the game between the Blue Jays and the Orioles.
Quote of the Day:
“If my uniform doesn’t get dirty, I haven’t done anything in the baseball game.”