By Juan Páez
- DoesntGetTired.com: Yordan Álvarez continues to make history with his hitting. This Friday he became the Astros player who needed the fewest games to reach 30 home runs in a season. It took the Cuban giant only 84 games, and we are witnessing pure history!
- The Athletics fired 23-year-old Cuban outfielder Lester Alexis Madden. Madden posted poor numbers with Oakland in three seasons in the minors and did not advance past high Class A: .205/.254/.296 were his averages in 177 games between Rookie, Class A and Class A+, where he played eight games this year.
- After passing cold-like symptoms, Luis Robert will return to action today in his rehab program. He is expected to make another appearance as the center fielder for the Charlotte Knights. The Cuban Panther should return to the majors for the White Sox’ series against the Royals on Monday-Wednesday.
- With his departure from the team believed to be in the coming days, The Athletic had an in-depth conversation with Joey Gallo, the slugger who has been living an offensive nightmare since coming to New York with the Yankees. His statements were alarming and troubling to say the least. “I feel bad. It’s something I’m really going to have to live with for the rest of my life. It’s going to be very difficult. I didn’t play well, I didn’t live up to expectations, and that’s always a tough pill to swallow,” Gallo said. When it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen.
- There have not been very long periods in which the Cuban armada has had two or more relievers in the same team. The most recent and consolidated duos have been Aroldis Chapman and Néstor Cortés Jr. with Yankees in 2019, José Contreras and Raúl Valdés with Phillies in 2012, Contreras and Danys Báez with Phillies in 2011 and 2010, and Vladimir Núñez and Michael Tejera with Marlins in 2002. Now it’s the turn of Adrián Morejón and Michel Báez, , who just moved up to the Majors with the Padres. Good luck!
Top Performers July 29, 2022:
- Aledmys Díaz vs Mariners: 3 for 5, 2 HR (8), 2 RBI (23), 2 R
- Yordan Álvarez vs Mariners: 3 for 3, HR (30), 2 RBI (69), 2 R, 2 BB
- José Iglesias vs Dodgers: 2 for 3, 2B (22), R, BB, K
Died on this date:
2016: José Arcia
Born on this date:
1887: Rafael Almeida
Happened on this date:
2012: Kendrys Morales becomes just the third batter in the history of the game to hit home runs from both sides of the plate in the same inning. The Angelinos beat the Rangers 15×8. The others to reach that milestone were Carlos Baerga (1993) and Mark Bellhorn (2002).
2016: Cuban-born Héctor Olivera is traded from the Braves to the Padres in exchange for Matt Kemp. Olivera is about to return from an 82-game suspension stemming from a domestic violence-related charge. Olivera never played for San Diego in the majors.
2019: Yasiel Puig is involved in a three-team trade. Puig moves to the then Cleveland Indians from the Cincinnati Reds to try to help Cleveland get into the postseason. However, the Tribe misses its goal.
So far, Max Scherzer holds the record for the most millions received in a season (the best salary, in other words). This year, the Mets right-hander is paid no less than $43,333.333 million dollars.
Quote of the day:
“Baseball is a game of inches.”