By Juan Páez
- This year, there are just four players with three consecutive games of three or more hits. Kevin Kiermaier, Jake Cronenworth, Freddie Freeman and Luis Robert, who had three hits in each of his three games since Tuesday. He is the first Cuban with this streak since Yulieski Gurriel and Aledmys Díaz did it in 2017. Among Cubans, the absolute record for most games in a row with at least three hits belongs to Orestes Miñoso, with four (1959).
- According to bWAR, the most valuable position player for the Rays in 2022 is Yandy Díaz, with a 2.4 record. In other words, Díaz has contributed 2.4 more wins than a replacement player. And what Díaz has done is impressive. Since June 26, in 18 games, he has a slash line of .446/.520/.615, with 11 doubles, 11 runs batted in, 12 runs scored and 10 walks.
- “I’m not worried about thinking about going somewhere else. If it happens, it happens. But I don’t see myself leaving,” José Iglesias said of his current status and the possibility of the Rockies trading him before the outright trade deadline. “Candelita”, who has 52 hits in his last 45 games, is one of the most likely Colorado players to be traded. In the Major League environment, he is seen as a good piece for the Phillies, Yankees and/or Rays. The sun will rise and we shall see!
- Speaking of trades, Luis Castillo (Reds), Sean Murphy and Frankie Montás (Athletics), Bryan Reynolds (Pirates), Willson Contreras (Cubs), Andrew Benintendi (Royals), Noah Syndergaard (Angelinos) and Josh Bell (Nationals) should be the names most likely to be traded in the major leagues before the Aug. 2 trade deadline.
Top performers July 14, 2022:
- Luis Robert vs Twins: 3 for 5, 2B (13), HR (12), 5 RBI (54), R
- Néstor Cortés Jr. vs Reds: 7.0 INN, 4 H, ER, BB, 4 K
- José Abreu vs Twins: 2 for 4, 2 RBI (45), R, SF, HBP
On this day:
1970: Emilio Palmero dies
1972: Omar Luis is born
2005: With a double against Joel Piñeiro, Rafael Palmeiro becomes the first Cuban with 3,000 hits in MLB history and the 26th player to reach that milestone. However, Palmeiro is, at the moment, the fourth player with at least 3,000 hits and 500 homers, along with Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Eddie Murray.
2013: Yoenis Céspedes beats Bryce Harper in the final 9×8 to win the Home Run Derby. It is the first of two Derby trophies for La Potencia in the traditional competition between sluggers.
2018: Prospect Yusniel Díaz hits two home runs for the World Team in the Futures All-Star Game at Nationals Park, but USA Team won 10×6.
Speaking of WAR, Orestes Miñoso is the Cuban with the best single-season record. Minnie finished the 1954 campaign with 8.2 Wins Above Replacement. That year he was fourth in the voting for the American League Most Valuable Player award.
Quote of the day:
“Playing baseball for a living is like having a license to steal.”